Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Stepwise Scarf


The "Stepwise Scarf" is a combination of two specialty techniques: short rows, and adding stitches to the end of the row by way of the "half-hitch".  It gives a jagged edge to the scarf that adds texture to the edges of the scarf.  The basic pattern is written with chains instead of half-hitches, which are noted below.
Materials
approx. 5 oz (150 grams) bulky or super bulky yarn
Size 19 (15 mm) hook

Special stitches used:
* Slip stitch in back loop only (Bss)



Instructions
Row 1: Ch 13.  Turn.
Row 2: Sl st into the second chain from the hook and in the next 11 chains (12 sl st in total).  Ch 1.  Turn.
Row 3: 12 Bss.  Ch 1.  Turn.
Row 4: 12 Bss.  Ch 1.  Turn.
Row 5: 10 Bss.  Ch 1.  Turn.

Row 6: 10 Bss.  Ch 3.  Turn.

Row 7: Sl st into second chain from hook.  Sl st in next chain.  10 Bss (for a total of 12 Bss across).  Ch 1.  Turn.

Row 8: 12 Bss.  Ch 1.  Turn.

Row 9: 12 Bss.  Ch 1.  Turn.

Row 10: 12 Bss.  Ch 1.  Turn.

Row 11: 10 Bss.  Ch 1.  Turn.

Row 12: 10 Bss.  Ch 3.  Turn.


The look on the right side of the fabric will be 2 "long" ribs of 12 stitches followed by a "short" rib of 10 stitches.

Continue making 4 rows of 12 Bss, followed by a short row of 10 Bss and an increase row, until scarf is desired length.  If you want to leave the scarf flat, I suggest finishing with the two "long" ribs.  Otherwise, if you want to make an infinity/Moebius scarf, end on a "short" rib and line it up against the beginning "long" rib.

I will say, though, that if you end up making it into an infinity scarf, I think it really should be called a "Stairmaster Scarf"… ;)

NOTE: Instead of the "Ch 3" at the end of the short rib, I made two "half-hitch" increases and one chain.  Essentially, the half-hitch is a simple knitted cast-on, but backwards.  Vashti Braha's web site has her explanation of the half-hitch, if you want to give it a shot.  The main difference to me was that is orients the chains to be a little bit easier to work with when you turn for the next row.

~~~~~~

Now, if you're interested, the story:

In the midst of a Vashti Braha-run, slip stitch-filled weekend, I was handed a paper bag with a "surprise" skein of free yarn inside.  Now, I had been staring at these bland paper bags for the last day with low expectations but high excitement - you know, that feeling you get in a $5 Secret Santa trade where you know you'll probably just get a small bottle of scented lotion but it's still wrapped and you never know what it might be!!

So with this little-kid-at-Christmas excitement, I yanked away the tissue paper to see what treasure might be hidden inside.  And underneath, I found a soft, super-bulky yarn in a quiet, dark blend of greens, browns, and blacks.  No tags, so it was hard to tell what the actual weight or fiber blend was, but it was definitely soft and squishy.  And I have to admit, I've been aching to work with bulky fibers for months now but keep getting distracted with... well, everything.  So I was very happy to suddenly have the opportunity land right in front of me.

The next morning, we started talking about short rows in slip stitch, which I've been wanting to try for some time.  So I started playing with my new bulky prize and tried out the Slip Slope scarf pattern that Vashti was discussing at the time.  I got to the point where I was about to slip stitch over my jagged corners and thought, "Huh, that's an interesting pattern."  But I wanted to keep soldiering on, for the moment, and completed the row across.  Instantly, all the pattern was swallowed up in the mess of dyes and texture.  Ripped.

But I still really liked those corners.  So I restarted, this time leaving them intact.  I also wanted to duplicate them on the other edge.  While I was playing with my short rows, Vashti had been talking about the "half-hitch," which is specifically useful for increasing on the end of a row in Tunisian crochet.  In the spirit of practice, I decided this was the way to go, and after a few rows, had the hang of that.


My original intention with this piece was to have layered rectangles of 3 ribs x 12 stitches.  It only occurred to me, say, 20-30 rows in that my staggering, as I had planned it, actually resulted in having what ended up being 3 ends of ribs on both sides, but in truth, 2 rib x 12 stitch rectangles against 1 rib x 10 stitch rectangles.  To my eyes, it started to look like the Blivet optical illusion after a bit of staring.  So in retrospect, if I really wanted full rectangles, it would be to half-hitch 2 stitches, THEN make a short row.  However, I like the inadvertent design aspect of the hiccupped "Blivet" rows, as I will now forever think of them.



A couple days later, the scarf was complete.  Well, almost complete - I still haven't decided if I like it better flat, with 2 full ribs on each end, or seamed together as an infinity scarf.  I feel like the infinity pull turns the edges too much - and if you can't see the edges, why bother with them in the first place?  But at the same time, the constant seamless stagger is a fun effect, and the overall look of the scarf is still really nice.

I will say, when I showed my "editor-in-chief" (AKA, my husband) the fruits of my labor, he was a bit nonplussed by the edges.  And I admit that I'm taking an art that's normally most happy in lacy curves and circles and transplanting it roughly into a much more gruff, angular form.

But, for a pattern that I feel is one that I've cultivated fully from start to finish... I think it's a great jumping-off point.

No comments:

Post a Comment